Thursday, September 19, 2013

Follow Up to my Open Letter to the Candidates of the 2013 Provincial Election in Nova Scotia

Hello friends!

Earlier this week I posted an open letter to the candidates of the provincial election here in NS, on a blog that I contribute to on a regular basis.  Since we at Mama Might (a blog you should follow!!) normally write about such topics as breastfeeding and how to feed a family on a budget, it was difficult to say how a very political letter about public education would be received among our readers, who are mainly young mom friends of the writers.  A fantastic, and highly satisfactory, week for us usually means around 300 hits and 30 shares.  

The open letter went locally viral, receiving around 17,000 hits and over 4,000 Facebook shares in 48 hours.  I received calls from CBC television and radio, CTV News, Global News, the NSTU, and other media sources.  All three major political parties have corresponded with me personally in response.  Clearly, I hit a nerve.  

I was very anxious about posting my letter, for many reasons, and I took a long tome to think about my motives before doing so.  At the end of the day, my decision to go ahead was based on my belief that it was the right thing to do, and I am satisfied with that decision.  As many of you have since pointed out, it needed to be done.

To say that I am overwhelmed by the support and response my letter has received would be a massive understatement.  Someday soon I will sit down and try to express my gratitude for the outpouring of solidarity, affirmation, and even the simple acknowledgement of what I've done.  While the overall response was very validating, the one that meant the most to me was a from a woman, formerly very involved in educational activism, who emailed:  "...I don't even have a job to protect, let alone a teaching job. Your letter was the first of it's kind that I have seen in about 15 years of watching. I really think that you 30 something Moms are going to make some big changes in the system. The time is coming and your attitude is awesome."

As parents, and teachers, we often tell our children to stand up to their peers and speak the truth, no matter the cost.  And yet, we've created an adult world where we are afraid to do the same.  Oftentimes, as adults, and in particular in the workplace, our experience is that there is no discourse anymore, no accountability, and a whole lot of fear and discontent.  We think that by being open about things that need to be addressed that we risk it all: our jobs, our security, our professional relationships, our ambitions, and maybe even our very future.  This can no longer be held true.  Open, respectful dialogue is the only thing that will ensure accountability and reform.  This is true in the workplace, families, friendships, and even in the Department of Education.  We all need to be heard.  We need to speak, not only for ourselves, but for those who have little or no voice of their own.  In this case, my intention was to speak for myself, but also for the children, parents, and teachers of NS who were not being heard by our provincial government.

Thanks to all of you, I think we got their attention.

Thank you again.  I will be posting the various responses I have received from provincial candidates later today for your perusal.

Stay informed, read the party platforms on education, write to your MLA's, and speak up about whatever it is you believe needs to be done to give our kids what they deserve: a high-quality public education.

And most importantly, on October 8th, make an informed vote.

Cheers,

Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment